Mondays are tough and this week is no exception. With upwards of 47 million Americans expected to travel 50 miles or more this holiday weekend, Monday will be one of the busiest and most expensive days of the year to fly. Ironically, it is also Cyber Monday, which is the Black Friday of online shopping and you will find some of the best online travel deals of the year.
According to Huge Cyber Monday Travel Deals, last Cyber Monday was the biggest spending day online in U.S. history with upwards of $3 billion in online sales. Click here to see me talk about last year's Cyber Monday on Breakfast Television.
If you’ve been holding off on a trip due to cost or are planning to travel this winter, Monday may be the day to pull the trigger.
Where to Start
Ok, so the Internet is a big place and it’s hard to know where to look! Fortunately, there are websites that act as billboards showcasing the best online Cyber Monday deals. They are:
- CyberTravelDeals.com organizes cyber Monday travel deals by country. Most deals are for accommodations and range from 20 - 50% off.
- CyberMonday.com has a Travel section with deals broken down by flights, accommodations, car rentals, cruises and vacation packages.
An emerging trend is the ‘Power Hour’ super-sale where companies drop prices even further to offer killer deals for one hour on Cyber Monday. This year's Power Hour deals have yet to be announced, but last year's biggest one by far was 90% OFF hotel rooms book using Expedia's app with the exact hotels on sale rotating every hour.
My favorite Cyber Monday deals announced to date include:
- According to Budget Travel, Fiji Airways is offering up to HALF OFF roundtrip flights between Fiji and either LA, San Francisco or Honolulu.
- For a last minute escape, Atlantis Bahamas is offering up to 55% OFF nightly rates for stays checking out no later than December 23, 2016.
- Expedia is expected to match last year's 90% OFF deals on select hotels. Make sure to visit their website Monday for specifics along with terms and conditions.
- Royal Caribbean is offering 50% OFF guests, up to $300 onboard credits and 50% reduced deposits on select trips and cabins.
- AMEX Travel is offering up to 50% OFF select trips paid using your AMEX card and taken between January 9 and February 9 2017. Click here to browse deals.
- This Telegraph article shows 50% OFF 2 night stays in a historic castle near Edinburgh in addition to half a dozen other sales in the range of 50 - 67% OFF.
- The Boston Globe reports Wyndham is offering up to 40% OFF rooms at select properties in Charleston, S.C., Orlando and San Diego.
- 30% OFF stays at any of 14 Hilton hotels in Kauai, Maui and Oahu for stays between January 1 and June 30 next year.
Leverage, Leverage, Leverage
With so many amazing deals to choose from, you can book all your vacations for the upcoming year on Cyber Monday and save a bundle.
A nifty way to multiply your savings is leverage deals. For example, Vail Resorts has properties throughout the Western U.S. and is offering up to 45% off accommodations booked through snow.com/cybermonday. By leveraging this deal with liftopia.com which sells lift tickets at wholesale price, you can literally shred both the slopes and cost of your vacation.
Make Every Day Cyber Monday
You don’t have to wait for Cyber Monday to earn major travel rewards online. In an effort to lure shoppers away from brick and mortar stores, online stores and shopping portals offer big time incentives in the form of rewards points. You can earn upwards of 5, 10 even 15 points per dollar spent on purchases. To see which online stores have the best deals, visit evreward.com and browse to see which stores offer the juiciest incentives.
Last but not least, if you have a favorite travel website, keep an eye on it this Monday as chances are good you will find a great deal displayed on their homepage.
Keep in Mind
The steepest discounts are often offered by high end travel operators, making Monday a great opportunity to book 5-star accommodations on a 3-star budget.
Once feeling unable to afford to travel, Russell Hannon uses lean principles to travel at a fraction of the going rate. He has been featured on CNBC, FOX, America Tonight, CBS, CTV, CBC, the National Post, Around the World Travel TV and nationally broadcast lifestyle and personal finance shows. He also wrote amazon.ca Budget Travel #1 Best Seller ‘Stop Dreaming Start Traveling: The Ultimate Guide to Traveling More & Spending Less’ available at StopDreamingStartTraveling.com.
FREE GUIDE: Download ‘Beat the Best Online Fare – Every Time, Every Flight’ at BreakTheTravelBarrier.com.