Russell Hannon – BIO
Once feeling unable to afford to travel, Russell Hannon uses lean principles to travel at a fraction of the going rate. He is an Ultra-Economical Travel Expert who has been featured on CNBC, FOX, CBS, America Tonight, CTV, ShopSmart, Around the World Travel TV and nationally broadcast lifestyle and personal finance shows. Russell speaks at Travel Shows, has worked as a CBC Budget Travel columnist, and is the author of Stop Dreaming Start Traveling: The Ultimate Guide to Traveling More and Spending Less. The book is endorsed by Emmy-Winning Producer Danette Kubanda formerly of CNN and the Oprah Winfrey Show.
Nice to Meet You!
We already have something big in common; we both really love to travel! I’m wholeheartedly grateful for how travel has enriched my life and am going to continue as far down this path as I can.
Sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday that credit card bills would dull my post-vacation glow. I fell into the trap of thinking travel was inherently expensive, and found myself putting off trips off until ‘next year.’ Ironically, my day job was to find ways to get better results, in less time, using less money. I worked in lean management and I found ways to use those principles to leverage travel resources to multiply my savings. My purpose is to show you how to do that same and make ultra-economical travel the new norm.
I get as much joy from the simple pleasures of a leisurely stroll as I do from a five-star escape. From ski resorts and lakeside cabins to tropical beaches and big city life, you could say I have a colorful hat rack and enjoy wearing them all.
I get antsy if I stay still for too long so I keep active while traveling be it running, hiking, biking or skiing. I get a thrill from immersing myself into new environments and some of my favorite escapades include:
- The Alps and Rocky Mountains
- The beaches of South East Asia, the Pacific U.S. and Mediterranean
- The castles of Austria and Germany
- The excitement of Times Square, Piccadilly Circus, the Vegas Strip and finding my way around Tokyo
I travel comparably to how I live at home. I like to stay in fully furnished apartments, buy groceries, eat at nice restaurants every so often and occasionally indulge in upscale hotels and spas. By cutting out the things that are not very important to me, I don't need to sacrifice the things that are. I prioritize opportunities that fit my lifestyle and are free, followed by those that are least expensive.
- There is nothing like: "A fulfilling day and unwinding afterward."
- Something Weird About Me: "I like rooftop pools and restaurants that overlook skylines."
- If You Met Me in Person: You would feel my passion for travel and would see that am as interested in people's experiences as much as I enjoy sharing mine. Everything I know I had to learn and the day we stop learning we stop progressing.
What I'm Not:
- I don’t always travel, I'm not trying to break records or visit every country in the world. But when I do…I have enough extreme cost saving tactics to write a book (which I did).
- I’m not leaving my life behind to travel the world on end. I have a fulfilling career and have no plans to leave it. I enjoy returning home as much as I do leaving
- I don’t suggest where you should go or how to travel. Instead, I lay out all the options, models and strategies so you can overcome any financial barriers you feel may be keeping you from taking that dream trip or traveling on your terms
- I never advocate taking at another’s expense
- I travel ultra-economically but not cheap. I don't cut corners that can put me in uncomfortable situations or that can compromise my well-being
What I Write About:
- How to overcome financial barriers keeping you from traveling how and as much as you want to
- How to save money traveling without compromising
- Unique ways to leverage travel resources to compound your savings
- Practical ways to fund your travels
Now that you know a bit about me, I’d like help you discover your travel type. On my home page, you will find a ‘Travel Type' article with a collection of travel surveys that define your travel type.
For ultra-economical travel advice and the latest deals, sign up to my newsletter on the homepage. As a sign-up bonus, you’ll get my Free Guide 'Beat the Best Online Fare - Every Time. Every Flight’.
If you would like to share your travel secrets and success, join me and your fellow travel bugs in our Forum. You can access it from the Forum button on the homepage or by going directly to the break the travel barrier facebook page.
Happy Travels, and I hope to hear from you along the way!